Sunday, August 26, 2007

A car guard or two

So my last post reminded me of another fascinating belief in the goodness of people. The trust that people have for two of the parking guards outside campus.
The first guy, asks people to leave their handbrakes up when they park in his parking lot so that he can move their cars around to make space for other cars. People actually agree to this, and he happily moves their cars around to make optimal use of his parking lot. With the crime rate in this country, I really could not wrap my mind around the fact that people would actually allow this, until I heard of the other car guard..
People who park in his parking lot actually give him the keys to their cars so that he can move their cars around if necessary.
These car guards are not indebted to anyone. There is no contract, nothing that binds them to any obligation. If they want to, they can just drive off with about 20 to 30 cars of their choice. Technically it wouldn't even be stealing because they were given the keys.
These car guards are homeless; they don't even own bicycles of their own, let alone owning a car/ a fleet of 20 cars. Yet they still work in the best interest of the people who park their cars in their lots and don't even attempt to steal anything..
The inherent goodness of people never ceases to amaze me.

2 comments:

corpsekicker said...

No man. Now everyone is going to know about it and corrupt the guards. :( you suck. no inherent goodness here.

neverBlink said...

Lots of people already knew about it long before I decided to post..
No1 is gonna come read my blog, try to figure out who I am, go find the guards and try to bribe them..
I thought you learnt something from your phone experience..
I was wrong.